| Records Master
Mac OS 10.4+
- easy addition of new files (importing),
- organization of files in hierarchical folders,
- optional organization of files by date,
- easy access to existing files (browsing, finding, smart folders exporting, printing)
- the ability to associate notes with files or folders,
- the ability to associate attributes with files (e.g., cost) and produce reports based on those attributes,
- reminders to download or scan in recurring records such as financial statements, (including an integrated website password manager with advanced features to make it easy for you to go to websites to download the records),
- encrypting the database, and
- automatic or manual backup of the database.
Think of it as a replacement for a file cabinet but with easier filing and retrieval. You can also use it just to keep any files together...especially useful for PDFs.
A trend today with financial institutions and utilities is to stop sending paper copies of bills and statements, and instead make them available online. However, this information is not available online forever, and is inconvenient to access across all of your financial institutions because you have to login to multiple web sites. If you wanted to review all your statements for December of 2013, you would have a lot of work to do. Though the online statements are often available for downloading, you have problem of organizing the information. Records Master addresses this problem by providing a database customized for storing and accessing such records in a single database file. If you still get some statements only in paper form and you have a scanner, then you might find it more convenient to scan the statements and store them in Records Master rather than maintaining a paper file system. You could also scan and organize receipts, instructions, etc. Also, MacOS X allows you to print anything to PDF, which you could then save in Records Master.
Even though Records Master was motivated by the problem of managing large amounts of bills and statements, it could be used to organize any files on your computer.
Complete documentation for Records Master is available as help within the application.
This video shows how Records Master 1) reminds you when it is time to download a new credit card statement, 2) automatically logs you into the web site to download it, and 3) automatically files the statement by date in your Records Master database.
This video shows the same as the above, but with the NEW integrated web browser introduced in release 8.0.
This video shows how Records Master can automatically file scanned-in Bank statements by folder and date in your Records Master database.
10.9 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Updated "Importing" preferences to improve compatibility with Mac OS 10.11+.
- Fixed miscellaneous (unreported) bugs.
10.8 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to specify a custom User Agent String for the Records Master built-in browser.
- Improved word matching when autofiling imported files.
10.7 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the option to allow UserIDs and passwords to be now TYPED when their hotkey is entered, rather than being PASTED. This has 2 advantages: 1) this method works in websites that suppress pasting into fields and 2) it does not leave potentially sensitive data (e.g. a password) in the clipboard. The typing speed can be adjusted.
10.6 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to copy items within the database by dragging them with the OPTION key held down.
10.5 - Reliability enhancement and bug fixes:
- Improved recovery from system crashes and disk errors.
- Fixed various unreported, minor bugs.
10.3 - Added debugging info to the "Email The Author" function.
10.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Defaulted the hotkeys for pasting the User ID and Password.
10.1 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to export files by dragging them to
a Finder folder or the Desktop.
- Added the ability to delete files by dragging them to the Trash.
- Rewrote and improved drag-and-drop of website password
manager information between Records Master (version
10.1+) and PW Master (version 2.7+).
10.0 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added option to confirm deletes. You are no longer forced
to confirm deletes.
- Added option to restore last viewed file and history across database re-opens.
- Added the ability to drop files on the Records Master icon when it is not running, and have it open the last used database and import the files.
- Generated passwords no longer contain the letters IOU or the special character | to avoid confusion with other letters or numbers.
- Fixed bug interpreting quarter/year dates.
- Fixed bug not enabling the Finder button in some cases.
- Fixed bug in history display.
9.9 - Feature enhancements:
- Added ability to optionally include special characters in generated passwords.
- Added the ability to easily specify a different length of generated password for each website.
- Improved compatibility of automatically logging in with Records Master built-in browser.
9.8 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for databases that are stored on mounted disk images.
- Added additional help buttons within the application.
- Improved the help viewer.
9.7 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Improved handling of PDF files that do not have a ".pdf" extension.
- Improved help viewer.
- Fixed bug when a file or folder name is made blank.
- Fixed broken link in help file.
9.6 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in 9.5 that affected only a few users.
- Fixed a memory leak.
9.5 - Bug fix:
- Fixed bug logging into some websites with Records Master browser when running on 10.8.
9.4 - Compatibility enhancement:
- Improved icon for retina displays.
9.3 - Feature enhancement:
- Increased the maximum length of a generated password
9.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to drag and drop between Records
Master and PW Master
(Password Master) (1.4+) files.
9.1 - Feature enhancement:
- Enhanced the handling of badly or inconsistently formatted password import data.
9.0 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added ability to display a URL with a specified (non-default) external browser on a per-folder basis in the website password manager.
- Fixed bug with entering file or folder names containing Latin characters.
8.6 - Improved error checking and bug fix:
- Improved checking for permissions errors within databases.
- Files in import folder are no longer deleted when there is an import error.
- Fixed bug in registration system with names containing
8.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Improved prompt for importing password data.
- Removed extra ".rmgr" from newly-created database filenames.
8.4 -Feature enhancements:
- Improved automatic userID and password entry into an external browser.
- Added overwrite warning when creating database.
8.3 - Bug fix:
- Removed redundant prompt about automatically checking for updates.
8.2 - Feature enhancement:
- Forces website attributes tab to display when a reminder is double-clicked.
8.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Improved checking for new versions (via the Sparkle framework).
- Added Check For Updates... item to Records Master menu.
- Fixed bug in saving notes.
8.0 - Feature enhancements:
- Added integrated web browser to allow you to more easily and quickly import PDF statements.
- Added Browser tab to preferences.
- Moved page load delay preference to Browser tab.
- Improved quality of file printing.
7.95 - Feature enhancement and bug fixes:
- Improved quality of printed files.
- Fixed bug in deleting folders.
- Fixed bug in user interface for specifying website password manager password entry options.
7.94 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to import password data (Name, URL, UserID, Password, Notes) from a text file to create folders that can be used by the website password manager feature.
7.93 - Feature enhancements:
- Added support for Dvorak keyboard layout.
- Added shift modifier as an option for the hotkeys.
- Added ability to specify keys that appear twice on keyboard (such as 0-9) as a hotkey and have both keys function as the hotkey.
- Warns about new releases only once.
- Added function to retrieve previously-purchased registration data.
- Added function to email the author.
7.92 - Feature enhancement:
- Improved display of improperly formatted PDF files.
7.91 Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added vertical scroll bar to reports.
- Fixed obscure bug in report generation.
7.9 - Feature enhancement:
- Added a quarter specification to the date attributes panel, so you can enter, for example, "2q" to specify the starting and ending dates of the second quarter of the current year.
- A quarter specification of the format "4q09" can now
be used in imported filenames.
7.8 - Feature enhancement:
- Default starting date of files is now based on reminder interval of its folder (if any), with a default 1 month.
7.7 - Compatibility enhancement and bug fix:
- Improved compatibility with 10.6.
- Fixed obscure bug in autofiling by date.
7.6 - Feature Enhancement:
- Added "Last Import" Smart Folder that contains the last items imported, and a preference to enable this feature.
7.51 - Bug fix:
- Worked around a bug in 10.6 that prevented creating
7.5 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- The browser icons for Records Master-maintained folders (Unfiled and Import Logs) are now red.
- Fixed bug in finding from a selected file in a Smart Folder.
7.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Smart Folders created from selected files will now remember the location of the files in the database even if they are moved or have their name changed.
- Double-clicking a Smart Folder created from selected files now selects all of the actual files in the Browser.
- Smart Folder names can now be edited with the Rename button.
- Files in Smart Folders now have proper icons.
- Improved error checking in Find Dialog and Button Select callout.
7.31 - Fixed bug in creating a smart folder by selecting files using tags, months, or years (Button Select feature).
7.3 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to find files by content and highlight matched text in displayed files.
7.2 - Feature and performance enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the Find Previous command with keyboard shortcut command-shift-G.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut for Go To URL to command-shift-U.
- Added progress indicators in Browser when files or reports are displayed.
- Added progress indicator in upper LH corner of database window for Find command.
- Added a status message above the file display when Find and select matching finds nothing.
- GREATLY improved performance when the Find command selects multiple items on the browser.
- Displayed files no longer scroll to their start when a database is brought forward.
- Fixed bug encrypting databases that contain filenames starting with "-".
7.1 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to create a smart folder easily by
selecting files using tags in addition to month and
7.01 - Fixed bug in display of certain file types.
7.0 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to associate multiple tags with files, manually or automatically.
- Added the ability to find files based on their tags.
- Now runs only on Mac OS 10.4 or later; version 6.9x
will remain available for 10.3 users.
6.91 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added "whole word" match option for Autofile.
- Refixed bug printing individual PDF files on Intel
6.9 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to create a smart folder easily by selecting files using month and year.
- Improved dialog for editing custom attribute names.
6.8 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- When a new password is generated, the old one is put in the notes with date and time.
- Fix bug in importing folders to top level of database.
6.79 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Reminders improvement: The selected reminder is now automatically checked off when a file is imported or moved into the reminder's folder.
- By default, if a reminder is selected, files are imported into the reminder's folder.
- Added a preference to allow the priority order of how the folder to import into is selected among 1) the selected reminder folder, 2) the folder selected in the browser, 3) the folder that matches the filename, and 4) the folder whose autofile specification matches a text or searchable PDF file.
- Fixed bug printing individual PDF files on Intel
6.78 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- The Backup Database menu item is now disabled if the database has not been changed since last backup.
- Fixed printing bug.
- Added the ability to go to the 20 most recent websites you have visited via Records Master through the "Go To Recent Website" menu under the "File" menu.
- Files and folders can now be dragged between database browsers to copy from one database to another.
- Added option to ignore case when sorting (under Sorting menu).
- The Import Logs folder is no longer expanded when a log is added to it.
- Log entry is no longer selected along with imported file(s).
6.73 - Feature enhancements:
- When a year folder is selected in the Browser, and it contains only one file, that file is displayed.
- When a file is found, and it is the only file in a month folder, the month folder is selected and the file is displayed, unless that month folder is the only one in a year folder, in which case the year folder is selected and the file is displayed.
- The import log file is not selected in the browser after an import.
- Added a preference to enable the creation of a log file for each import.
- Hovering over a Browser item now displays its location within the database (10.4+ only).
- Fixed user interface glitch in AutoFile attributes.
- Dropping multiple files on the Records Master icon to import them now treats them as a single import, highlighting all of them in the browser after importing.
- Prevented importing Records Master databases.
- Disabled dragging browser items from one database to another.
- Fixed bug in editing Import Folder Specifications.
- You can now specify the date range for reports.
- Added a preference to have double-clicking a file in the Browser open the file (vice editing its name, which remains the default).
- Reorganized the preferences to have a "General" tab, which contains the updates preference and the new double-click preference.
- Each database can now have its own Import Folder.
- Improved AutoFile folder matching using specified string.
- Improved website password manager interface.
- Fixed entry of tabs before automatic user id and password entry.
- Changed the "Filing" file attribute tab to "AutoFile" to better denote its purpose.
- When searching for dates to AutoFile, dates without years are now supported.
- When searching for dates to AutoFile, now looks for ending dates only after starting dates, resulting in more accurate date finding.
- Added notification that automatic website login is in process.
- Fixed website password manager interface glitch.
- Fixed bug causing certain reminders not to go away when checked.
- Automatic filing now works for many PDFs--10.4 or greater only.
- "Go To URL" function added to File menu.
- Improved reliability with more index enhancements.
- Fixed bug in backup when saving only 1 backup copy.
- Completely rewrote internal index structure to: 1) dramatically improve performance for large databases and 2) greatly improve ability to recover from disk errors, freezes, or crashes, so your data is even more secure.
- Improved website password manager functionality and user interface to accommodate more websites.
- When multiple items are dragged in the Bowser, they now remain selected.
- Performance improvement when finding and selecting multiple items.
- Added option to delete files from a database or from the Import Folder securely, overwriting them with random data before deletion.
- Added option added to securely delete backup databases, overwriting them with random data before deletion.
- Added new "Security" menu for above and encryption functions.
- Reorganized the "File" menu.
- Improved feedback during backup.
5.86 - Feature enhancement:
- 1Q, 2Q, 3Q, and 4Q can now be used to specify quarters in filenames.
- Improved how multiple found items are handled in the history...back button now steps through each found item.
- Improved performance of file display.
- Added a warning for encrypted databases without automatic backups enabled.
- Added the ability to attempt recovery of a corrupted database by holding down OPTION key while opening.
5.83 - Bug fixes:
- Fixed problem with encrypting empty databases.
- Fixed problem displaying .txt files as movies.
- Improved user interface when importing by dragging a file into the browser.
- Fixed bug in display of PDF
- Fixed problem displaying PDFs in databases not on the boot volume.
- Fixed rare case where registration code had to be entered on each launch.
- Added support for website user IDs that are in 2 parts.
- Added additional website user ID automatic entry option: go to URL, type tab to enter first field, then user ID.
- Limited Quicktime display to most common video/audio types only, so it does not display text and pdf files.
- PDF files with extensions other than .pdf now display and print properly.
- Quicktime video and audio files can now be played from the file display panel.
- Fixed bug in rearranging folders in the browser view.
- Enhanced quality of display of PDF files (10.4+ only).
- Allows PDF forms to be filled out and printed. (10.4+ only).
- Fixed display of PDF files containing different page sizes.
- Minor performance improvements with Smart Folders.
- Improved error messages for deleting.
- Added the number of days left on trial to Registration dialog.
- Fixed bug in creation of Smart Folders.
- Fixed bug causing deleted folders to not be removed from the history or remind
- Added support in the folder website attributes (Password Manager) for sites that require the password to be entered manually, e.g., via an on-screen keypad.
- Added Generate Password function to folder website attributes (password manager).
- Add ability to automatically enter user ID for a website.
- Reorganized website (password manager) attributes.
- Reorganized preferences.
- Added help buttons for all attribute panels.
- Reorganized documentation for folder attributes.
- Added ability to put the displayed document or report in clipboard when copy is specified.
- Improved automatic repair of corrupted databases.
- Added ability to email selected files with Mail.
- Fixed bug in entering userID and passwords for web sites.
- Added website password manager to facilitate going to websites to download records.
- Updated Adobe icon to their current one.
- Improved documentation.
- Added ability to specify quarter specifications in autofiled file names (e.g. "folder+Q2" or "folder+2006q1").
- Added the ability to find using "path is".
- Improved status messages.
- Fixed bug in creating Smart Folders with the button below the Browser.
- Multiple files, folders, or reports can now be printed at the same time.
- Added the ability to import the contents of the clipboard as a file (under File menu).
- Added the ability to import applications into encrypted databases.
- Fixed glitch in icon display introduced in release 4.5.
4.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Multiple files, folders, or reports can now be exported at the same time.
- When exporting a smart folder, you can choose whether to export the associated report (as a .csv file) or the folder and its contents.
- Improved performance for large databases.
- Simplified and improved the delete confirmation message.
- Improved icons shown in the browser.
- Fixed bug in creating smart folders.
- Added forward and back buttons to the Browser, allowing you to retrace the history of what you have selected.
- When multiple items are imported at the same time, they are placed in the history, allowing you to easily look at each one individually.
- Updated documentation about importing.
- Fixed bug concerning dragging files and folders to the brow
- Improved status info presented as file path when a single file is not selected in the browser.
- Fixed bug concerning locked files.
- Importing locked files is now supported.
- Importing folders with custom icons works properly now.
- Importing from folders with custom icons works properly now.
- Fixed a bug affecting the ability to view.rtfd files in encrypted databases.
- The height of the panel to display all reminders is now remembered (until relaunch) if the user changes it.
- Improved error checking in the add/edit custom attribute name dialog.
- Fixed a bug in creating custom attribute names.
- Fixed a bug deleting files (introduced in 4.0).
- Added scheduled reminders, associated with folders, to remind you when to download or scan in particular records.
- Files and folders can now be dragged from the Finder into the Browser to import them.
- Sorting options are now per-database, and are set using the new "Sorting" menu, not the Preferences.
- When you create a new folder, you are now automatically able to edit its name.
3.5 - Performance and user interface enhancements and bug fix:
- Improved performance of importing, moving, and deleting files and folders.
- Smart Folders no longer automatically expand when dragging items in the browser.
- Fixed a bug in importing aliases within imported folders.
- Databases are now checked for internal consistency when opened, with a progress bar is displayed. This helps prevent data loss in cases where your system crashes or freezes with a database open.
- Reorganized backup preferences to make it clearer that a backup location can be set even though you do not backup automatically.
- Improved user interface for smart folder attributes.
- Fixed bug in editing smart folder names.
- Fixed bug in sorting top-level folders in the Browser.
- When creating a new folder, you are automatically in edit mode to name the folder.
- Clarified in user interface which items in the Browser can be sorted.
- Improved warnings when deleting.
- Fixed bug deleting multiple Smart Folders.
- Improved recovery of encrypted databases after system crash with database open.
- When adding new custom attributes, allow case-insensitive matching of custom attribute names.
- When adding new custom attributes, ignore keystrokes that would not match an existing custom attribute name.
- Added the ability to import aliases (importing the referenced file with the alias name).
- Improved recovery from extraordinary occurrences such as system crashes.
- Fixed window resizing bug.
- Fixed crash when trying to import into a read-only database.
- Fixed deletion of ignored items in the import folder.
- Name changed from Records Manager to Records Master. Registered Records Manager users remain registered for Records Master.
- Added the ability to associate custom attributes with imported files, such as cost or amount.
- Added the ability to produce text reports, line graphs, bar graphs, and comma-separated-value files based on custom attributes associated with imported files.
- Added the ability to find files based on their custom attributes.
- Added the ability to find files and folders based on "path starts with".
- Added the ability to create a Smart Folder containing files selected in the browser panel.
- Added the ability to import directory hierarchies.
- Added progress bar when deleting files or folders.
- Changed icon for show/hide attributes panel.
- Fixed bug in editing Smart Folder names.
- Now runs on Intel-based Macs (Universal Binary).
2.95 - Fixed bug with unencrypted read-only databases
2.94 - Added new type of Find that selects all found items.
2.93 - Improved error checking for corrupted databases.
2.92 - Fixed bug in display of MB file sizes.
2.91 - Feature enhancement:
- Added ability to automatically check for updates, controlled by a preference.
2.9 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added ability to find by contents of notes.
- Fixed bug in smart folders in encrypted databases.
2.8 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Reimplemented Find function to support multiple find criteria and to allow finding by modified date and pathname.
- Added "Smart Folders" -- continuously-updated folders that contain files matching specified criteria.
- Added folder/file icons to the folder/file window, to allow you to distinguish smart folders from regular folders.
- Rearranged the file and folder attributes display so the built-in help information can be hidden if desired, to conserve screen real estate.
- Made it easier to rearrange the folder "Unfiled" in the Browser.
- Fixed display of file attribute dates when day-before-month date format is specified.
- Fixed bug in alphabetical sorting.
- Fixed bug in displaying dragged file.
2.7 - Feature enhancements:
- Added Backup Database command to backup upon demand.
- Allowed word wrap in the folder/file notes.
- Made format of modified date consistent with other dates.
2.6 - Feature enhancements:
- Added file modification date and time to file attributes display.
- File creation and modification dates are now preserved in encrypted databases.
2.5 - Feature enhancement:
- Added the ability to drag/drop multiple files/folders.
2.4 Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to create a Backup Folder to the Backup preferences.
- Added the ability to create an Import Folder to the Importing preferences.
- Made it impossible to select a folder that is not empty as the Import Folder.
- Improved Import Folder documentation.
- Fixed bugs in processing dates.
2.3 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Replaced the attributes drawer with iTunes/iCal-like notes and attributes views in lower left corner of window, automatically shortening file/folder list as needed.
- Added the ability to associate notes with folders as well as files.
- Improved date entry in file attributes: if you enter only a starting date, the ending date is set equal. This is true for entering dates in imported filenames also. This convenient for receipts, which have only one date.
- Changed "Reset Dates" button to "Clear Dates" in file attributes.
- Added support for dates with format YYYYMMDD.
- Moved the "Show/hide Attributes Editor" Button under the folder/file view.
- Added help button to find panel.
- Fixed bugs related to file importing in rare circumstances.
2.2 - Feature enhancement and bug fix:
- Added the ability (controlled by a preference) to ensure that PDF files imported have a proper ".pdf' extension so they will display properly. This is useful because some web sites produce pdf with missing or wrong extensions.
- Fixed a bug with folder names containing special characters such as "é".
2.1 - Fixed bug in creating new databases.
2.0 - Feature enhancements and bug fixes:
- Added the ability to encrypt databases with 128 bit AES.
- Read-only databases are now supported (either with read-only permissions or on read-only media).
- Documentation improvements.
- Performance improvements.
- Fixed bug in backup preferences.
- Fixed bug in sorting preferences.
1.6 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to encrypt databases with 128 bit AES.
- Read-only databases are now supported (either with read-only permissions or on read-only media.)
- Documentation improvements.
- Performance improvements.
1.5 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Added the ability to store notes about each file.
- Various performance improvements.
- Fixed bug in Find command.
1.4 - Feature enhancements:
- Added the ability to zoom and rotate images.
1.3 - Bug Fixes:
- Fixed compatibility with MacOS 10.2.8.
- Restored automatic creation of first database.
1.2 - Feature enhancements:
- Show progress dialog when importing files.
- Improved recovery after write error, force quit, or system freeze.
1.1 - Feature enhancements and bug fix:
- Show progress dialog when backing up a database.
- Show an immediate error if backup fails.
- Fixed a bug in defaulting start date of a file based on the end date entered into the attributes editor.
1.0 - Initial release.
SM2DGraphView Copyright © 2002-2008 Snowmint Creative Solutions LLC
You may distribute Records Master unmodified via any media, as long as you keep it together with its Read Me file.